A Flying Adventure
Iowa State Ames Flyers, formerly Flying Cyclones
Who We AreThe Iowa State University Ames Flyers, formerly Flying Cyclones, is a student-run organization open to any member of the ISU community with an interest in aviation. Due to an Iowa State University Trademark decision in 2018, we had to change our name to Ames Flyers. You don't need to have any experience to join. In fact, we encourage non-pilots to join! It's a great opportunity to learn more about aviation!
The club has meetings about once every two weeks during the fall and spring semesters. We typically discuss upcoming trip plans, talk about the latest flying news, and share stories of what recent flying activities our members have been involved with. We also try to schedule speakers to discuss flying related topics.
In addition to our club meetings, we have many activities scheduled throughout the year. These have included recreational flights, classes for aspiring pilots, participation in intercollegiate air meets, and trips to various locations around the midwest. If you're interested in learning more, please join us at our next meeting or email us.
The Ames Flyers is not a flight school. We do not own or operate any aircraft and we do not offer flight instruction. If you are interested in getting your private pilot's license please still contact us and we can answer your questions and introduce you to the people in Ames who offer the flight instruction.
September 18, 2019, 5:30pm, Howe Hall Room 10
- Club dues are $30 for the academic year
- Club dues and ground school dues can be paid to the Ames Flyer treasurer, only cash or check is accepted. Checks may be made out to Ames Flyers.
Ground School is scheduled to start Wednesday, September 18. Please read Overview and FAQs for more information.
- Ground School Information - Fall 2019
- Location: 2228 Howe Hall
- Dates: Weekly, every Wednesday evening, starting September 18 except November 27 (Thanksgiving Break)
- Times: Sept 18: 6:00pm - 9:00pm, following weekly classes 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Fees: $360: Ames Flyers members or $400: non-members
- Materials: You will receive your private pilot bag and course materials on the second week of class. An introductory flight provided by Central Iowa Air Service is provided in the fee.
First Meeting of the Semeter:
September 4, 2019, 5:30pm, Marston 2300
ElectionsWe need the following positions filled IMMEDIATELY, please show up to the meeting if you are interested in a position.
- Safety Officer
- Web Master
We will be having Jeff's Pizza!